As I Turn A Year Older

March 10, 2017
I just turned 27. Whoop-dee-doo!
27 years is a bit short, I know, for me to be talking about life realizations and all, but hey, I am about to hit the thirties, so bear with me. (I kid).

No really, in the last 26 years, I faced a series of ups, downs, victories and defeats. I fell in love, I fell out of love, I got married, I gave birth, I achieved some of my goals, I got disappointed at times. Point is, life offers a lot of choices to make and lessons to be learned.

Here are some of the nuggets of wisdom, thoughts and whatnot that I gained over the years:

1. My dreams got bigger, but my ultimate wish is to be able to get 12 hours of undisturbed sleep.
Or maybe it's just me. HAHA. When I was young(er), I would ask for books or food for my birthday. However, last night, Francis asked me what I want for my birthday. Without batting an eyelash, I told him that it would be wonderful to sleep for at least 12 hours straight, while he takes care of Klong and do the chores for me. HAHA. (A girl can dream, right?).

2. Drinks after work? Are you nuts?
Back in 2011-2012, my parents would rarely see me because after work, I usually go and grab drinks with my former workmates, or go to my best friend's house and drink until the wee hours, because YOLO. (uhm?) Now, I have been in the same company for almost 2 years, and I NEVER joined them for drinks after work. Not even once. (Not because I don't like my office mates, mind you), but it's just that I don't have the energy for after work sessions anymore. Commuting in Ortigas is hard as it is, and all I want at the end of the day is to hug my daughter, watch Kdrama and call it a night at 10pm. HAHA. Yes, adulting did this to me :)

3. Deeper meaning of "Friendship"
Unconsciously, our real life friends list become shorter as we grow older. Before, the people you usually hang out with at school are your friends. Now, friendship has a whole new definition for me. It doesn't matter if I get to talk to my friends daily or once every three months. It doesn't matter if one lives in a different country or just across the street. What defines friendship for me now are the moments that we have shared together. That despite the differences of opinions, of life choices, I know that  they will be there for me no matter what.

4. It's okay to distance yourself from other people
I am not sure if it's because I am a self-confessed introvert, or life made me do this, but I tend to build a wall around me most of the time. I have been hurt and deceived a couple of times already, and it is not a sin to protect yourself from people who have ulterior motives, and people who have no plans of staying in your life for good. I also think that it is healthy to have alone time every now and then, to freely think, to breathe, to recharge.


5. COFFEE is life
I can't imagine what life would be without coffee. I cannot fathom the idea of battling through traffic and daily stress without a boost of caffeine. 'Nuf said.

6. Family comes first. 
During my teenage years, I would daydream about the day when I will finally be free to do things on my own. After college, after the first few paychecks, I realized that no matter where you are in life, your parents will always be your safe haven (at least for me, that is). When I gave birth to Klongski, I realized just how much a parent loves her child, and I learned to appreciate my parents more.


7. Not everyone will like you, and it's totally fine. 
I learned that in life, there will be people who won't like you for all the mundane reasons. I also learned that even if that's the case, it doesn't need to bother me at all, as long as I know that I didn't do anything wrong to that person. At 26, I am pretty confident with the people who are in my life that mere haters/people who try to burst my bubble just don't annoy me that much anymore.

8. Choose your battles wisely
We live in the social networking era and sadly, some are braver in posting rants and throwing shade at each other online than addressing the conflict face to face. I had my fair share of online war, albeit through private messaging and cryptic posts, but I realized that it isn't wise to comment back or react to every single issue thrown at you , or every post which you feel is directed to you. It will be a waste of time and a waste of battery. As I grow older, I started to master the art of 'deadma', and putting so much energy into something negative will never result to anything positive. So I opt to choose my battles more.

9. Don't be too hard on yourself
During my final weeks in college, I thought I had everything figured out. I will get a high paying job, I will wear this and that, I will have a hefty savings account by 30, etc. etc. 5 years later, I still haven't achieved most of the items on my list. Honestly, I am not bothered. At least not anymore. I have read this again and again, that it's okay if at mid-20s, we still haven't figured it all out. Yes, it may be disappointing at times, but hey, life is all about choices and chances, and as long as I know that I am doing my best to achieve my goals, I know that I'll be fine.

10. Learn to appreciate the value of things and moments
As I mature, I started appreciating the value of life, of things, of moments. I thought that if I started earning, I would be able to buy everything that I want, not just the needs. However, since I have experienced working hard for money, I learned to value things more. I learned that (like in number 1) sometimes, the best things in life are the things that money cannot buy, like sleep, and my daughter's kisses and hugs.

Being a married 27-year-old woman, may restrict me from getting everything that I want in an instant, like that spur-of-the-moment trip out of the country, the latest Iphone model  or the drink-till-you-drop gimik nights with colleagues, but I am sincerely grateful for the life that I live now. I have a wonderful little family that I can call my own, I have loving parents, who are willing to drop anything for their 'paboritong apo', I have friends, both at work and from school, who love me even if I am moody and anti-social most of the times. I still have a long, long way to go before I fulfill all of my dreams, but I know that I will get there, someday. I can't wait to see what my 27th year has in store for me. Lez do this! :)





No comments:

Powered by Blogger.