Marrying My Best Friend

April 16, 2017
Ever since Klong came, I rarely blog about my husband. However, since it's his birthday next month, and since I really, really feel blessed to have him in my life, I decided to write something about my favorite man.

"I am lucky that I married my best friend".

Sobrang cliche nito pero this is really how I feel about us. We've known each other since we were in 6th grade. Admittedly, I had a crush on him because he was maputi, and he had really nice hair. He started sending me love letters, but I rejected him because I got turned off by his shoes. Ewan ko pero wala lang, ayun lang talaga yung reason. hahah.  In high school, we became closer. He would sit beside me and we would listen to my Parokya ni Edgar cd in my discman. He would tell me all about his new prospects/girlfriends/crushes, and I would rate them from 1-10. Girls from the other sections thought that we were a couple, and there was even a time when one of his exes confronted me inside a bookstore. I was furious. He just laughed and teased me. When we finally had our own landline (swear, big deal ang landline dati), he's the only one who knew our number. We would talk for hours about our childhood, about our schoolmates, about anything. We'd talk for 6 hours max.

On our sophomore year, I had a boyfriend (our relationship lasted for 6 years), while he had his first long-term girlfriend when we were in our junior year. Even if we were both in a relationship, the habit remained. In the afternoon, we would talk to our respective partners on the phone, and we made sure to end the conversation by 9pm. 9pm onwards, that's our telebabad time. That continued even if we were already in college. I would ask him for advice about boys, and he would tell me his problems too. I was the one who helped him plan for his anniversary, graduation and birthday surprises for his ex. For 8 years, we were that close.

When my ex broke up with me, I didn't want to talk to anyone. He was there to cheer me up. He made sure that I wouldn't wallow in self-pity. He arranged dates for me. He introduced me to his guy friends and played the matchmaker for a few months. I did not date his friends. I wasn't interested in other guys, but he helped me move on. He accompanied me on my OJT interviews, in my graduation pictorial. He made sure that I wouldn't feel so bad about being single.

When he and his ex broke up, we switched roles. It was my turn to make him feel better. Our friends started bugging us if we were already dating but we would both laugh at the idea. One time, we made a 'drunken promise' that if we are still single after 8 years, we would just marry each other. At least we know each other and each other's families. We even signed a paper to seal the deal. (a torn page from my notebook). I lost that paper. But after that night, we became a bit closer than we were before.



Gilligan's MOA ; Circa 2011

Beer Belly, Mandaluyong ; May 2011

We did not label our relationship right away, but we got used to being in each other's special days. The people around us need not to confirm if we are already a couple, I think they just knew.

*After almost 2 years*, we finally made it official.

2 years later, we got married.

It wasn't a breeze, I'm telling you.

Before we said "I do", we went through ups and downs. We dealt with criticisms, with breakup, with reconciliation, with personal dilemmas, but in the end, we chose each other.

Marrying my best friend also meant being well-versed when it comes to his dating history. I was his partner-in-crime in  planning surprises for his ex, and now that we are married, I would ask him why he does not surprise me the way he did to his ex. When I was very pregnant and insecure, I would get mad at him for not being as sweet as the Oppas in the Kdramas I am watching. I would accuse him of just settling with me because I am the only girl who has never left his side. At times, that would start a WWIII, most of the time, he would just laugh at me.

Marrying my best friend also meant knowing him for the longest time. Generally, it's a good thing. Sometimes though, it has its disadvantages. Being friends with him for almost a decade has made us so comfortable with each other, to the point that teasing each other is part of our daily life. I think that has become our own love language. I always call him "Iki" (butiki), and he will always be the first one to to tease me about being fat, or matakaw. We've always been like this even in front of our friends and family. But sometimes, I see couples who are all googly-eyed when talking about the love of their life. We were never like that. At times, I would ask him if there is something wrong with us, because we weren't as sweet as the other couples we know.

Am I giving you the impression that marrying your BFF is a bad idea? I hope not. Because personally, I think being married to the guy I have been friends with since I was little is really one of the best decisions I have made. The pros easily outweigh the cons.

For one, we know each other so well that we never really see the need to constantly impress or compete with one another. Since we were best friends first, we do not hold back on criticisms. I can always count on him to tell me his honest opinions, and he would not worry that he might insult or upset me.

We've been friends way back when elephant pants were super cool, and the "in" hairstyle for boys were kimpee and oasis. Now that we are married, he doesn't really need to impress me by bringing me to a fancy dinner, or giving me extravagant gifts. Of course, I am thankful that my husband exerts effort on special occasions, but really, hanging out is good enough for us.

Another thing that I like about being married to Iki is there are no skeletons in our closets. We know each other's deepest secrets and dark past, that surprises are very rare, if not impossible.

We have also been a part of each other's best and worst in the past, that's why now that we are married, problems are a little less stressful because I have my best buddy as my kakampi. We hate the same people, we like the same people, we almost want the same things (except longganisa and corned beef).

We know each other's dreams since we were young, and until now, Iki has been my most avid supporter. He will always be the one to cheer me on when I am stressed, I will always be the one to remind him of how awesome he is when he is feeling a little down.

Most of all, we share the same values in life. I saw how caring and loving he is to his parents, but he also does not let anyone put him down. He does not care what people think about him, but he also sees to it that he treats everyone with respect.

We have been through a lot together - from being bffs, to being a new couple, to being married, and now, being proud parents to our little madam. It isn't easy, and I know that there will still be bumps along the way, but I am happy that my husband is with me every step of the way. I am not saying that every girl should marry their best friend, it's just that I am not an easy person to love, let alone spend your entire life with, but Francis accepted me, my family, and my flaws without hesitations. He was there for me when I was at my lowest, wearing 6-pocket jeans and Presto rubber shoes. He liked me even when my high school crush doesn't even know I exist, and most of all, he shows how much he loves me by being the best tatay to our Klongski. I know that I am not perfect, but God still gave me a best friend and a husband in one, and I do not think I can ever thank Him enough for that.

So to you, my bff and my mister, advanced HAPPY BIRTHDAY! You are indeed my person. Klong and I are so blessed to have you in our lives. We love you.

To more mistakes, tampuhan, food trip, misunderstandings, bloopers, laughter and  adventures TOGETHER!


SHOT!

Our wedding day: October 18, 2014

Our first Christmas as a family: December 24, 2015




































No comments:

Powered by Blogger.